Tuesday, February 23, 2010


These are some of the trees I felled this weekend. I'm still pretty low on the learning curve as far as being a "woodsman" goes, but I felt pretty good about getting most of the trees to land where I aimed. It's pretty unsettling when a tree starts going down opposite your intended destination. It's hard to tell from the picture, but these trees are on a fairly steep incline, so you have to be pretty careful when you decide to fight gravity.
Anyway, not to bore you--oh wait, that's what the poetry is for--but this is my new routine: fell the trees on the weekend, buck 'em up during the week. I'm trying to get out there every day so I can be pretty much set for next winter before the black flies make the whole affair a misery.
Hopefully I'll be spending more time at the ocean during black fly season rather than in the woods. That, by the way, is how the Passamaquody did it: they spent the fall and winter in the woods, the summer by the sea. Native people always seem to have the right idea, until somebody has to come along and muck it up.
I sure hope this city boy won't do too much damage out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment