Monday, June 21, 2010

Remember that hit song from the 80's: "We are family, I got all my ducklings and me." Ahh, the memories. By the way, my mother sat me down and gave me the real scoop and skinny on Harvey. Turns out she didn't buy Harvey at a pet shop as a birthday gift for Max. She says that she just "picked him up someplace." That he was already a wanderer when he came to us, an escaped convict, if you will. And she doesn't believe that Harvey was stolen (don't know where I got that idea), but that he just "took off."
But there's more. You see, while in our care, Harvey laid an egg. My mother says she then renamed Harvey, henceforth calling him Harriet. But I don't remember that, and Max and Alice made no mention of it in their recollections. Did we repress the knowledge that we had the world's first transgender turtle?

2 comments:

  1. I do remember the egg story! When I was telling the story to chris and celia PreBlog postings, that was part of it.

    I'm glad to hear harvey wasn't stolen. it is disturbing to have your memories refashioned

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harvey laid the egg behind the piano. So someone liked my playing ;)

    ReplyDelete