Friday, June 11, 2010

This turtle came to visit, hanging out at the edge of the "lawn"--otherwise known as the world's greatest assortment of weeds. Reminds me of a strange episode from my Staten Island childhood. My brother Max--the nature lover!--was given a gift of a turtle he named Harvey. Well, it wasn't long before Harvey disappeared and I was led to believe that he "ran away." I pondered this for years: how exactly does a turtle run away? Aren't they slow as molasses? Harvey might have even been slow for a turtle. It wasn't until I was deemed mature enough to handle the truth that my mother confessed that Harvey had been stolen. So of course I was now left to ponder something I would never figure out: who the heck steals a turtle?

3 comments:

  1. wow, I was just telling that story to chris and celia recently. But I still believed the turtle ran away. Another childhood memory shattered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I read this post the other day, but again today. And for some reason none of it sunk in until the second time around. But I thoroughly enjoyed that story and thought you should know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I later found a snake and two seconds after I put it in an old aquarium I decided it needed something to slither on. So I got it a flat rock from the backyard. But the rock slipped out of my hand and landed on the snake, making a 2-inch dent. I hoped it would "re-expand" but it didn't. Hours later the snake was under-ground in the backyard.

    The turtle, I can only hope, was stolen by a better care-giver. But I loved that turtle. It ate an apple out of my hand. We were in love. We got along so well.

    I'm glad Mom didn't tell me it was stolen. Staten Island depressed me enough as it was ;)

    ReplyDelete