Wednesday, January 4, 2012

There's something about this frigid weather that gets me thinking of hiking--a longing for birdsong and leaves on the trees, I suppose. Anyway, I just happened across the blog of a guy who's planning to "yo-yo" the Appalacian Trail. That is, he will hike it in both directions--a total of over 4200 miles--in less than a year. But the twist (and a pretty neat one in my book) is that he will do it solely via day hikes. He will not sleep out on the trail; rather, he will park at trailheads and do out-and-back day hikes. He's retired (63 years old), so he has the time, and though I've never met him, he also seems to have the heart. I'll be rooting for him, that's for sure.
As soon as I read of his plans I got to fantasizing about Cara and I buying a VW camper van when we retire and trying the same thing. I haven't broken this news to her yet--but I guess the cat's out of the bag now.

No comments:

Post a Comment