Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Clarification: when I said I hauled a "tractor trailer," I meant a lawn tractor trailer. Not one of those big-honking trailers on a big rig--just in case any of you were confused about my actual brute strength. It is official, by the way: healthy eating leads to weight gain. I seem to have gained yet another couple pounds. I'd like to feed myself the old saw about muscle weighing more than fat, but I'm probably more buffoon than buff.

But at least it gives me a chance to tell one of my favorite stories. When I was a freshman at BU I worked on the maintenance crew mowing lawns and moving desks around. One of my co-workers was a fellow student from Ireland who was on their Olympic team as a shot-putter. He was a big mass of muscle, as you might imagine. One day we were riding in the back of a pick-up truck to our next assignment and I said, "Someday all that muscle will turn to fat." Now, before I share his response, keep in mind that at the time I was about 145 pounds soaking wet.

So he says, "The skinny man's lament. Someday, I'll still be big and strong and you'll still be skinny and useless."

Well, at least he got the second part right.

1 comment:

  1. mike, are you seeing whats happening in gold and silver? i'd be interested in the gist of what ol' fred hickey has to say although your subscription has probably ended. for the past few months every day just gets better and better. i think there will be some consolidation soon but $1500 for gold and the upper $20's for silver are in sight by year end.

    i just got the moneyless man in the mail. what this guy has done absolutely fascinates me...too bad there wasn't a major in college that encompassed self reliance, business, horticulture, permaculture, healthy living, and independent thinking all in one.

    anyway, i hope your doing well and i hope your enjoying this time of year before the cold comes. no doubt, maine really is the best in the fall.

    ReplyDelete