Sunday, March 14, 2010


Have you noticed how few bumper stickers there are out there these days? Probably a result of the unfortunate demise of the chrome bumper. I liked Kill Your Television, but probably my all-time favorite was Hard Work Must Have Killed Somebody. But what's with all the killing? If you have an old favorite, let me know what it is in a comment.


Weight-lifters often design their workouts around total weight. So 10 reps of 100 pounds equals 1000 pounds. A workout can be intensified by increasing reps, sets or weight. In this example, the goal would be to lift more than 1000 pounds in total, say by doing 11 reps which would (obviously) equal 1100 pounds. The woodpile pictured above easily weighs more than 1000 pounds. Each stick of wood had to be lifted, carried a bit, then tossed into the pile (medicine ball style). Quite a workout--at least that's what my sore back is telling me.

I know my sister is doing Hot Yoga and running with a brain surgeon at 4 a.m. (She should have her own blog, I know). If anybody else has any interesting work-out stories, please share them in a comment.

Lastly, if anybody wants a dollar, just leave a comment and I'll send you a buck (one per customer).

3 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention my current self torture--abstaining from sugar/caffeine/alcohol/gluten. 22 days!

    Personally I find the public display of political beliefs via bumper stickers a bit off putting. But that's just me.

    If you really want comments, you're going to have to join the facebook world and friend your old kindergarten buddies.

    Did I earn my dollar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to see you on Friday...don't forget to bring my dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the blog mike! i'm going to enjoy reading your posts as i can feel a little bit of maine through them.

    i've been following a few blogs -- all i think you might enjoy.

    www.zenhabits.net
    www.becomingminimalist.com
    www.theartofmanliness.com
    http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/

    i saw you enjoyed the documentary alone in the wilderness. that film was so great.
    also, i kept a blog a few months back, it was mostly just a photo journal as i think i had once mentioned to you. your blog has re-inspired me and i will post some pictures of my progress in my garden. i planted peas and beans this past week and they've already sprouted. the benefit of living in the south. have a nice night and keep the maple syrup running!

    ReplyDelete