Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I pride myself on leading a boring life, so what's with the blog? I mean, I don't really have all that much to say, certainly not much in the wisdom department. But here we are, scant energy to keep it going, an odd feeling of guilt about letting it drop. So I guess we're in "we'll see" mode.

Today I had my economics class with the kids at school. I was telling them about how a few years ago when I used to ask my 8th grade class what their ambitions were, there was one kid who said he wanted "to live in a van down by the river." I think that's a quote/joke from some television show or something, but he seemed serious about it. (He ended up moving down South). At any rate, this past weekend I read a book called Moneyless Man by a guy who lives in a camper down by the river (in Bristol, England). He uses no cash, but barters and grows food and does some dumpster diving to round out the fun. I wouldn't want to go that far, but, conceptually, it is kind of cool to think about living without money.

It's a love/hate thing, to be sure, but am I alone in wondering how the heck I ended up with so much stuff?

1 comment:

  1. I remember going "dumpster diving" when I did my woodworking. Found some exotic pieces of wood from behind an old staircase building company in Blue Point.
    It's nice to see your blog up and running again.

    ReplyDelete