Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This here is the junk food for plant eaters. Fat avocado, sweet potato fries and tofu fingers? And don't forget the twist of lemon. See, whether she's cooking a chicken until even the thought of salmonella has been pulverized (the kids used to call it "mom's sawdust chicken") or cooking up the health food like it's fish'n chips, my wife has got her wily ways. Does this sound like an early Valentine--or will I be sleeping on the couch tonight?
We had a two-hour delay this morning, so I spent a bit of time sitting in front of the fire reading the awesome book--On the Wild Edge--that Stan loaned me (he seems to have replaced my mother as the librarian to the stars), then hit the elliptical with the weighted vest for a 30 minute sweat frenzy before work.
In the afternoon I did a workout I happened across on YouTube called the Military 1000. It consists of 75 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 200 sit-ups and 525 squats. The guy in the video said you're pretty much kickin' it if you complete it in 40 minutes, so of course that is what I shot for. Excuses: I did two bodyweight workouts yesterday, which slowed me down on the pull-ups--and didn't really help with the sit-ups either. Also, I'm so stupid that I ended up doing 600 squats, 75 more than required, because it's tough to do basic math when you can't breathe. At any rate, when I stopped my chronograph it was at 43 minutes. Subtracting the extra squats puts me (I would guess) at about 41 minutes. Obviously the thing to do is try again when I've had a day off from the strength training. I'll nail it: no doubt.
It occurs to me that this is probably beyond tedious; so, again, I apologize. But let me tell you how it helps me. When I did the woodshed workout with the heavy rope yesterday, I was surprised at how hard it felt, since I didn't recall it causing me so much difficulty the last time I did it. I figured it was just because I've been sick. But when I looked at the post in this blog where I last did the workout, I discovered that I'd only done 20 reps with the heavy rope between each set, whereas yesterday I did 30. So it felt harder because it was harder.
You don't give a flying banana, do you? I don't blame you, but, hey, thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Dinner looked yummy tonight! I wish I'd been there. :( Out of curiosity, do you know whether or not the fake chicken we eat is vegan or not? And I quite enjoy hearing the workouts, even if they make me feel lazy. You need to stop having snowdays/delays! You and Mum are going to forget what a full work-week looks like...

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give a flying banana. You really did that in 40 minutes? Makes me crazy. Well I've got a workout for you. I used a sledge hammer to break about 50 square feet of ice 4" thick. Took me a little longer than 40 minutes though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of flying bananas, we've been doing the vegan thing too. I'm making a vegan dinner tonight. Some kind of cassoulet. Anyway, my problem is that occasionally I stumble on a food that seems clearly vegan but turns out not to be. For example: POPTARTS! Can you believe it? I know, nuts, huh. Well now you know too. Sorry to be the one to to tell you.

    ReplyDelete