Monday, April 18, 2011

Today we visited with Mike and Candy in Cutler. They're expert gardeners and gave us a tour of their greenhouse and treated us to a delicious lunch of lentil soup and fresh baked bread straight out of their antique wood cookstove. Cara often brings home Candy's amazing canned peppers and tomatoes and pickles, and believe me, once you start eating this stuff you can't stop. If that's not enough, we were let in on the secret of how to make ambrosia, or "tincture", or aperitif, or call it what you will. This is what you do: soak berries (as pictured above) in vodka for a week (or longer), then strain through a coffee filter and mix with sugar water. Drink and enjoy. As I've mentioned in the past, we have goodly amounts of wild blueberries, blackberries and raspberries on the property, so let's have a toast this summer!

4 comments:

  1. how much simple syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Mike and Cara,
    We couldn't resist looking up your post about the "tincture"! To answer Alice's question, you add as much simple syrup as you like, you need to keep sampling it as you add it. We don't put too much in, about half of one cup sugar/water, as we really like the fruit flavors to shine through.
    It's a cold rainy day, just perfect for cooking on the woodstove. I read more recipes in the Jane Brody cookbook, and made the spinach-cheese noodles (pg.362) for lunch, only ratched it up a couple of notches by using homemade pasta, arugula instead of spinach, and adding feta in addition to cottage cheese. It was so pretty I took a picture, wish I knew how to post it on here!! I am also making Michael some pickled eggs (thanks again Cara), and sourdough bread.
    We are heading out for the "other Maine" early tomorrow morning. We'll see if I can figure out what I thought I was missing the other day, that I couln't quite put my finger on. I am sure I will be glad to get back here, as I do whenever we travel, and will feel so happy that I live in such a wonderful and outrageously beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy, Thank you so much for the amazing lunch and Cutler tour. We had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, I think we should invite Candy over during canning weekend and maybe change to tincture weekend.

    ReplyDelete