Monday, October 10, 2011


We decided to take advantage of the sunshine by preparing for winter. In other words, loading up the basement with firewood. But then it hit 86 degrees (I don't know if it was ever even that hot in August), so we decided to hit the beach. Beautiful, of course.

Even though we didn't have to get up for work today, I was "out like a light" at 9 P.M. I had this vivid dream that I was on Staten Island, showing my kids Curtis High School. When we got inside I was thrown for a loop--it was so much nicer than I remembered it. I sort of scolded myself for not remembering my childhood as fondly as it deserved. The student body was so diverse and engaged in learning. There was just this all-are-welcome vibe. So welcoming, in fact, that when I went into the library there were all these homeless men sleeping on the floor (I think I might have been confused as to whether they were backpackers or homeless, but then I reminded myself that I was in NYC). And this is what I mean when I say the dream was vivid, I could actually smell their pungent body odor. I wondered how they got away with camping out in a school library, figuring they had just been undetected. But then a librarian came up, spoke to one of them by name, and started talking about some sort of help that she could provide.

What does it mean? Seems like an odd time for me to be summing up or reconsidering my past. Also, I've been a bit downhearted about the world, figuring that greed is killing both the environment and our spirits. Yet, somewhere, even if only in the Twilight Zone, there is a kind librarian.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful picture! We really live in an incredible place. And you can't be too disheartened by the world when you see a picture like that. Love you.

    ReplyDelete