Monday, March 21, 2011


Today I woke up with a bit of the Monday morning ugh, but then ended up having a day of many satisfactions. I got to work out with Ernie for the first time in a while, since he'd been away to Disneyworld; I felt good and useful at work; the sap is running like gangbusters; and, last but not least, I had a jump rope breakthrough. Oh, and I guess I should mention, Jake made a delicious dinner. He's all about the spinach!
Like anything in life, becoming proficient with the rope requires focus and the ability to relax in equal doses. Generally when you really want to get something right (like passing your road test) you have a tendency to tense up, which of course can lead to disastrous results (just ask my wife, who allegedly failed her road test 4 or 5 times).
As you may recall, my goal has been to do 50 double-unders continuously. Through a great deal of trial and error I realized that I wasn't standing straight enough, I was jumping too high, I was allowing the rope to spin too fast and I wasn't maintaining "soft knees." I didn't figure it all out at once, of course, but these are the things that I've corrected over time. I'm making it sound as though I've now reached my goal, which I haven't, but I am now confident I will hit it sooner rather than later. Today I did 36 in a row (my previous best was 15), and, interestingly, what stopped me short of 50 is that I got winded--and that's another thing that messes you up: a lack of oxygen.
But I know how to take care of that. No problem whatsoever.

A.M. 10 50 lb. dumbbell presses/15 push-ups (no rest) x 3
8 squats with 40 lb. dumbbells at the shoulders x 3
5 pull-ups with 40 lb. dumbbell between the feet x 3
Sit-ups (obliques, knee-ups, bicycles)

P.M. 600 double-unders

No comments:

Post a Comment