Monday, January 31, 2011


Introduce yourself to this fine fella at every opportunity and you'll never be lacking in Vitamin D (or happiness). Alice and Chris are getting on the China Study bandwagon, forsaking meat and dairy for a month--and they haven't even read the book yet. Anybody else who's interested in this endeavor, leave a comment. Of course, Camille is already way ahead of us (and she's trekking in Nepal; yes, I am jealous). I don't know if I'd have believed in this, but I'm quite convinced now, and I'll tell you why: I've been to various doctors, including allergists, over the years, and have taken pills, used sprays and submitted to weekly shots, all to limited success. Yet, after just a few days of my plant-based diet, I'm breathing freely and I'm not leaving a trail of Kleenex behind everywhere I go. So why did no doctor ever advise me to cut out dairy?
This morning Ernie and I gave in to the spleeny gene and worked out in the basement. We used the power station, and it was a nice variation. We did dips, pull-ups, leg lifts and squats. Then, in the afternoon, I went for a snow-shoe with the weighted vest. Stupid, really, as snow-shoeing is tough enough on its own. Now I'm going to eat some spinach and jump some rope.
If Popeye had jumped rope his muscle would have been more evenly dispersed, rather than getting all bunched up in his biceps. But hey, whatever, he was still ahead of his time.

1 comment:

  1. YES YES YES! Glad to hear your plant-based diet is working out! I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with veganism- just wait until your sense of moral superiority kicks in. Oooooeeee!
    Joke. But really, I am very happy to hear you're liking it. And don't forget to take your B-12 supplements. And make sure you eat your flax seeds (2T ground, or the equivalent, every day, for their wonderful brain and eye nourishing fats).

    ReplyDelete