Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The world can't end in 2012. Otherwise I'll have cut this wood for nothing. My plan is to have my basement stocked for next winter before the bugs have returned. That way I can spend the summer basking in the sun. Good ecology suggests that you don't cut in the warmer months anyway, as it's disruptive to the forest's creatures. Today I moved some wood by stacking it on a snow scoop and pulling it over the snow. Makes me realize that instead of a wagon I should have bought an ice-fishing sled and did all my hauling in the winter. The other advantage of cutting in the winter is that the snow is a safeguard against burying the chainsaw chain in the dirt--a blade ruining act that I've unfortunately performed more than once. Live and learn, my friends, live and learn.

Little did I know when I mentioned the Colby bookstore the other day that Jessie was applying to work there, but she called today to say that she starts tomorrow. Small coincidence, but it's still kismet. No employee discount, though, so we'll still have to sink our fortune into textbooks.

But Matt, assuming you're still frugal (I fell off that wagon a long time ago), I'll be happy to give you Lone Survivor when I see you in the summer. You do plan to visit Maine, right?

2 comments:

  1. I'm still as frugal as it comes for most things but I'm really one for acquiring hard copies of books and adding them to the bookshelf. I will probably find a copy before the summer but otherwise I would gladly accept it. But as for visiting this summer, I can't imagine not. Theres no place I'd rather be than Maine for the summer...I don't have any definite plans but I know I will be getting up there, no doubt.

    I'm happy to announce that I'm back in South Carolina for the winter though - cutting grass on the golf course and taking classes online through BYU. It's pretty sweet. I'm up and at it for work at 6 every morning. It was the coldest at 20 degrease this morning...but will be up in the 60's next week.

    Also, I'm kinda training/getting ready for a 5k in March. I have an uncle whose visiting and signed both himself and I up. He ran a marathon in Sweden last year and has been running pretty competitively the last few years. I'm kind of afraid he's going to blow me out of the race, if all I can do is keep up with him I will be happy, as he is 60 years old. Haha.

    Anyway, enjoy your weekend and working in the sugar shack, I'm sure you'll be down there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been checking into the blog daily and I see no new posts! Although Matt's comment may count as a post, be careful, he might take over. ;)

    ReplyDelete