Monday, January 24, 2011

Last night I was going to write a post about how when I was a kid I used to watch Jack LaLanne on television and how I wondered back then (almost 40 years ago) how long he would live. Morbid for a youngster, I suppose, but I was convinced back then that he would live a long life due to his fitness regimen. So every once in a while I would look him up, and I never tired of his great quotes, such as: "the only thing healthy about a donut is the hole."
I never ended up writing the post, however, as I became half-comatose watching football. Then, this morning, when I open my laptop to check out the NY Times, the first thing I read is that he died. Strange? Spooky? Psychic? Or mere coincidence? After all, he had to die sometime. Odd, anyway.
R.I.P. Jack.
It just blows my mind to think that he never veered off course. He stuck with the healthy eating and hard-core exercise from the age of 15 until his final tally of 96. That's 81 years for those of you who struggle with math. And here I am, all full of myself for doing OK for two months. Well, I guess I'm just like everybody else: a human yo-yo.

Today's workout:
--3 sets of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and squats, all while wearing the 40 lb weighted vest.
--Alternate jump rope 30 seconds/push-ups 30 seconds--8 sets
--Alternate jump rope 30 seconds/atomic sit-ups 30 seconds--8 sets
--Alternate jump rope 30 seconds/hammer curls (25 lb. dumbells)--8 sets
--Jump rope 30 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Mike, that actually sounds really spooky...

    Nice workout though. I'm reading an interview with him right now and he really was a guy who lived by his word and what he believed, so interesting. 81 years of healthy eating and daily exercise, that's amazing.

    take a look at the interview if you have time : http://www.shareguide.com/LaLanne.html

    ReplyDelete