Saturday, January 22, 2011


We ended up going skiing shortly after the elliptical madness, so maybe it's OK that I ate about a dozen (no exaggeration, sadly) oatmeal raisin cookies. Well, if the beautiful wife didn't work so hard to make her husband happy I wouldn't be in the predicament, but what's a man to do? How did I know that when I said, "I'm in the mood for an oatmeal raisin cookie," that she'd actually go into the kitchen and commence to baking?
But didn't we have some fun out on the Sunrise Trail. Perfect blue skies, no wind and fresh powder. Plus, all in all, I probably burned the calories in about 7 of those cookies. And therein lies the exercise dilemma. We overcompensate. The brain tells the stomach: hey, eat what you want, we're burning it up. But it's like money: you spend much quicker than you save.
Nevertheless, it's fun to fight the good fight. And Alice, you can jump rope for an hour. You just have to work your way up to it--if you're so inclined. I was getting there, but perhaps too quickly. I've got a bit of shin pain now, which is why I'm not jumping for a few days. I've got the scissor, the boxer, the double under and a few other moves down pat, but struggle with the cross-over (I can do it, but not consistently), so it's hard to take a break when I'm making headway. Plus I just got my punk rope DVD and jump rope, which does seem to turn much better than average (and still only $6.99).
A strange new hobby for a middle-aged man, I guess, but whatever floats your boat, right?

1 comment:

  1. Shin pain is making me skeptical of this new exercise which I think you promised me was lower impact on your joints (I guess your shins aren't joints though). But nevertheless, here is the challenge I'm taking: I'll do at least 10 minutes of jump roping every day that I go to the gym, so that when I go to class next Saturday I'll have better form. And hopefully better endurance too. I just did my first 10 minutes following a yoga class. It was actually pretty fun.

    I like the 1000 calorie idea, except I'd have to quit my job. And the cost of my gym makes that prohibitive. That's probably 3 hours of exercise every day for me and I already have trouble fitting in my current level!

    ReplyDelete